Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mascara Wars

I don't know about you, but I am constantly trying new mascaras. Every product out there promises to extend lashes and thicken them considerably. I don't think I have ever noticed a huge difference in my lashes according to what brand I use but certain brush styles do seem to help as I apply my mascara in the morning.

photo via

I am currently using Voluminous False Fiber Lashes by L'Oreal. I can't say that I am crazy about it. I don't know if it is the formula, the wand, or both. When I apply the mascara, it comes off in clumps on my lashes. The brush seems really thick and I have a hard time getting into the corners of my eyes.

photo via

The L'Oreal Telescopic Original Mascara was what I was using previously. I think I really liked it because the brush was so skinny. When I pulled it out for the first time, I just stared at it because it was the skinniest brush I had ever seen. There was no clumping on the brush and I was able to apply the mascara evenly and was able to reach into the innermost corners of my eyes.


photo via
I've used the L'Oreal original voluminous mascara on several occasions. It seems to be a good basic mascara. I never really have issues with clumping regardless of the medium/large size brush.

photo via 

Then there is the L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion mascara. It consists of a tiny ball of bristles. A little odd at first but it definitely helps with applying mascara to each individual lash. It is perfect for the hard-to-reach parts in the corners.

I probably will not buy the False Fiber mascara again (image number one) just because of how it goes on. I would recommend the telescopic versions (both the skinny brush and the little ball) if you are wanting something for detail.

It is always interesting to see what you will get when you buy a new mascara. For me, the biggest thing is the shape of the brush and how it applies to my lashes. I feel like if you are able to apply your mascara without having to worry about severe clumping, your lashes will look longer and prettier. I do not think tarantula lashes look pretty on anyone!


34 comments:

  1. I only wear mascara so I am constantly looking for the perfect one. What I hate is the first 3-7 days when you first open it because I don't feel like it applies right. Do you find that to be true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really noticed. Maybe you are just used to it by that point?

      Delete
  2. Loreal, in my opinion, makes the best mascaras. I love the Voluminous Million Lashes, which is the one they made before the first one you posted. The wand is normal and there are no "false fibers" like that one, so you may want to try that one out!

    Life Unsweetened

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I think I've tried each one of these mascaras. I found that the cheapies like Rimmel or NYC work pretty well..

    Amberly
    www.asliceofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using the voluminous right now, and I have some clumping issues, but it's not too bad. I'd like to try the second one pictured...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Tarantula lashes" HILARIOUS!

    I have Mary Kay waterproof (pregnancy, you know) right now and truly, it doesn't go on VERY cleanly and I would prefer a thinner brush. It does, however, stay on like a miracle - no chipping off or residue around my eyes. I used to be a MK Flawless girl all the way, but I haven't gotten that in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never sold on MK mascara (even before I was pressured into selling it.) I think there are cheaper options that do the same thing.

      Delete
  6. L'Oréal definitely has the best mascaras in my opinion, I only use them since they even top "designer" mascaras.

    Love, Mary ♡ Fashionbirds

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is the yellow one of Maybelline! I'll follow your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally recommend the LOreal Voluminous!!!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mascaras and I have issues. They either clump or they don't look like I have any on. I've finally settled on Lash Blast for now, but I think I might try the Telescopic one you mentioned. The skinny brush might actually be good for me!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use Great Lash by Maybelline. It's cheap and it's a classic!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Jewelry Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm kind of addicted to trying out mascaras. I've hit a lot of different brands high and low, and I definitely have found a few favorites: Bad Gal Lash by Benefit, They're Real by Benefit, and Maybelline's Great Lash. Definitely try them out if you haven't!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always on the lookout for a great mascara! Thanks so much for the tips!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am telling you RIGHT now, Cover Girl 24hr lash blast is the BEST I have found....in love!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can totally relate! I have tried countless mascaras but always go back to Great Lash. It just does the job the best for me :)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great review post! Great insights and tips, thanks for sharing! :-) xxx

    http://aurelieandangelo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I so wish I could try different mascaras. I have sensitive eyes and can only use neutrogena.

    amy
    Leopard and Lillies

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes me too! My fave splurge is Dior Show. Right now I am using Fabulash, I think? I always forget the names...I'd like to try that first Loreal one now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. for drugstore i like the almay get up and grow and for high end, i am in love with mally voluminous mascara
    i agree the loreal voluminous in carbon black is a nice go to
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Loreal is made by Lancome so that brand is usually pretty good. I live the voluminous one. Thanks for sharing. :)

    oliviamoone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree about tarantula eyelashes being very unflattering!

    My favorite mascara is They're Real by Benefit. It's the best I've ever tried - hands down. Your lashes will be incredibly long, thick, and it doesn't flake!

    xoxo
    Kerry
    laconceptiondesfemmes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite is Maybelline XXL Pro Extension Waterproof. Love the 2 step process it has :)

    -Michelle
    Fierce & Fashionable

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love that L'Oreal mascara - I've used it for years!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  23. i am a mascara FIEND. love it!! loreal is AMAZING - DIORSHOW BLACKOUT is my favorite though. TOTALLY worth the money. for real.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing I have been on a hunt for a new mascara.
    XO,
    Zhanna
    www.lifeandbows.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are GREAT reviews and I am now following your blog! I have only tried telescopic but now I will have try the others.

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am currently using the golg Loreal voluminous mascara. It's truly amazing!
    XOXO
    Ty

    Pls. check out some of my looks on BestTrendsForever.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. So true. Even I found the ball type brush of the L'Oreal Explosion Mascara first, but turns out its fabulous!!!
    Came here blog hopping and liked your blog!
    Do drop by my blog sometime.
    And do follow via GFC & FB, if you like and let me know with a comment! :)
    FASHION PANACHE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  28. i've used the telescopic and explosion and i have to say that i love the telescopic!
    xx


    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  29. My favorite is definitely from Clinique. I've been using since ever!!
    From Paris with love, Vicky

    The Golden Bun

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favourite is Voluminous Million Lashes...it's not as clumpy as the original, and it's just AWESOME at getting each lash defined and making them thicker and darker and longer looking all at once!

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful post!

    Kisses and Good week!!

    http://www.facebook.com/couturetrend1

    http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?