Thursday, September 27, 2012

Build Your Fall Wardrobe

Tops
(Click picture for details)

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I am shopping, I find myself buying a lot of one particular item. In my case, it is shirts. The ratio of shirts to bottoms in my closet is about 20/1. I am slowly trying to build a more balanced wardrobe so that I can easily mix pieces and create brand new looks each day. I have compiled a few basic items in each category if you are looking to do the same thing. These pieces can all work together and you will for sure find that you won't have to wear the same thing twice.

Tops:
  • A white blouse is the key to any wardrobe. It can be worn so many ways and in every season of the year.
  • You can never have too many white blouses. Picking one with a fun collar is a simple way to add interest to your outfit.
  • Animal prints seem to be in style just about every single year. Having a blouse in a fun animal print can be an easy way to stay chic at the office and can transition to after-work drinks with friends.
  • A chambray shirt is a classic piece that can be dressed up or down.
  • A striped shirt is also a key basic. Stripes never go out of style and can be worn all year long.
  • A sweater is a no-brainer for fall. Pick a light-weight fabric so you won't burn up before the really cold weather hits.
Skirts
(Click here for details)

  • Full skirts look cute with bare legs or with tights in colder weather.
  • A pencil skirt is a must for any woman's wardrobe.
  • Pick a skirt in a fun print. I love to have at least one fun print hanging in my closet!
Pants
(Click here for details)

I am definitely a jeans girl, but lately I have been trying to add pants and skirts to my wardrobe. Jeans are a staple, but try adding a basic black pair of pants and a bright color pair as well. Pick a wild (or feminine) print pant to your wardrobe too. Not everything needs to be a solid color!

Jackets
(Click here for details)

Jackets:
  • Blazers are a great way to make a look appear more polished. Black is the first color I would suggest buying if you are looking for a blazer. Of course, adding a fun color (really any color will do) later on will only stretch your wardrobe even more.
  • A denim jacket is a classic piece that will be in style forever. It's casual and easy to wear.
  • A boucle jacket can be worn dressed up with a pencil skirt or can be dressed down with a pair of skinny jeans.
  • A leather motorcycle jacket brings a bit of edge to any look.
  • An army jacket would look great over a floral dress and ankle boots or would work well with jeans.


Shoes
(Click here for details)

Of course, no outfit is complete without a pair of shoes. I might have picked more in this category than in the others but a girl can never have too many shoes! 

Check back next week to see how these pieces can work together. Have a great day!

23 comments:

  1. That would be my perfect fall wardrobe!!

    http://cravingforbarneys.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a post- I need to invest in some more skirts myself!

    Life Unsweetened

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have the tendency to buy lots of one item – dresses – and not buy much else, but I've been trying to correct the imbalance lately. I love these picks – especially the yellow J.Crew skirt and the white Dorothy Perkins blouse. Some really great staples here!

    Sea and Swank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chambray and stripe tops. My closet is mostly full of dresses. I literally have four pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts. I need to balance my wardrobe out too I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get more full skirts...most of mine are pencil skirts.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Win a chain link necklace + Chanel print!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally need a leather jacket to add to my closet!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always DIG your fashion finds Amy....really need your choices to recreate a Fall look!!!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all really great staple mix and match pieces to have in your closet! Love all the pretty pleated and pencil skirts you chose!

    xx,
    Erin
    http://erinscurrentlycoveting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many fabulous ideas! I have the same top/bottom ratio issue...lol! Additionally, the same jean issue...I need to expand into more skirts and pant styles. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    http://cstyledesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. me encanta el zapato numero 6! me he enamorado

    pasate por mi blog que tengo nuevo outfit
    http://sweet-perdition.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this Fall wardrobe breakdown! I may take it with me shopping next time! xo, Julie
    www.fromproseccotoplaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you really broke it down here! So many drool worthy items!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That topshop skirt is perfect! I've been looking for one like it forever

    xo, Courtney
    girlavantgarde.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for organizing my fall wardrobe! LOL I love this, especially the heels!

    XO http://shesaidhesaid-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all your wardrobe staples! I definitely have way more tops and need to work on getting more exciting pants/skirts.
    ~Jessica
    http://jeansandateacup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post... I am definitely going to be saving it to read in preparation for my next shopping trip! I am looking to load up on chic flats and cropped pants for Fall!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picks here, Amy! I wish I had infinite money to buy all of the darling things that are coming out for fall! :)
    xo, elle from Living in Color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful wardrobe and perfect choices! I would love to add more animal prints in my wardrobe too.

    cheap human hair extensions australia

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm trying to buy more skirts as well!

    xx amy

    Leopard and Lillies

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your jacket finds! I love #2, 3, 5, & 6! Great fashion finds that are making me anxious to shop :)

    Isabel
    LCDF

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great way to start, Amy! I never have a plan, and just end up buying random things willy nilly! I definitely need more tops and jackets!

    My absolute FAVES are the two pairs of pointy toed flats! Beautiful! :)

    *M
    laconceptiondesfemmes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?